Saturday, January 20, 2007

A whole lotta bloggin' goin' on

It occurs to me that at some point, someone may actually happen upon this and even read some of it. I may even want people to read it, people I like and respect and love. What will be the purpose of my blog? What do I hope to accomplish with it? Why blog?

Well, the obvious answer is world peace, of course. But on a more immediate level, I really enjoy reading other people's blogs. It is sortta like driving through a neighborhood at night and being able to see into a living room or kitchen (never a bathroom). It is a glimpse into another town and another life that I might never have encountered otherwise. That is pretty neat. Maybe someone that I don't know will read my blog and even enjoy it and we can all be united in bloggy paradise...blog-topia?? Maybe when we are all brains in jars in the distant future and blogging is the only common link of humanity, I will already have friends!

I primarily read knitting blogs which I find endlessly inspiring, and which brings me to my second hope. Perhaps if someone else is keeping track, I will be a more...uh, responsible knitter. Maybe people will wonder why a woman who has been knitting for nearly seven years and who reads about knitting daily and who fondles yarn as lovingly as if it were the hair on the heads of her own precious children and who visits yarn shops and dreams in sport-weight and who owns all the effects of a very accomplished knitter, knits nothing. Well, at least nothing worthy of posting in a knitting blog. Oh yes, there have been a few socks here and there, there was a felted purse, some scarves and hats and a baby blanket. But nothing that would end up in another person's keepsake box, or even in a drawer. I knit so little for someone who thinks about it so often. That is about to change. I hereby decree: Now that we are in a town where there is actually a knitting shop and there are endless possibilities, I will knit something more challenging and more useful and more beautiful. First on the needles? A pair of felted clogs for my grandmother. One of my main problems with knitting is gauge. Somehow I just don't get it...or could it be that I am too lazy to try it? I may be. I have a sock which is a story for another day...So my other knitting decree: Thou shalt learn the art of gauge and use it when thou knittest.

Lastly, my intention for blogging is enjoying my day to day life more and sharing it with my friends and family. In the past, I have written a tri-monthly letter that I have tried to cram in every blessing and accomplishment into with out sounding hopelessly nauseatingly optimistic and peachy. It is hard to share the good times and leave out the daily stuff and not sound like a liar. Yes, we have problems and we have hard times and rocky days and days where everything is almost perfect. I don't have the time or the room to document it all in a single quarterly letter, so I come off sounding like some kind of poster-child for antidepressants or something. Guess what? This blog is intended to be the in-bewtweens of my days. A documentation of the daily adventures in yarn, motherhood and housekeeping. Beware, things might get ugly.

I guess I have to admit that I like to read my own blatherings as much as I love talking, so now I have a notebook that I can always find and I can share with others...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool stuff shamaree, but seriously, Uncle Joe with knitting needles???
I am still trying to discipline myself to write letters and lose weight. I like your Blog though. Joe

Julie said...

Hey ya Toots,

This is great, and I still think you could be selling your writings. You are so good at it. I am bookmarking this so I can look at it all the time!

Julie said...

I still think you aught to SALE Sale sale your words.

Anonymous said...

What a neat cat toy!! I think you should copyright those and make your million.

Anonymous said...

So uhhh what sweater did you decide on?

Anonymous said...

I look at this at the very least twice a week, just to see what witty things you have written about. MOM