Friday, March 30, 2007

Where have all the flowers gone??

**I have an apology to those of you still reading (and I know there is at least one of you) for my long absence. I have no acceptable excuse other than the extremely busy life of a "stay-at-home" mom. After our trip to Springer, I jumped in the car and we went to Durango for a few days, then my sister and I caravaned back to here to enjoy spring break. We have been quite busy exploring and visiting. I actually related all this on the blog and somehow was unable to post it, so sorry.**

Every year around this time, I begin to worry. It just feels as if spring is going to be missed and all the new growth is going to freeze and die and we will be left with an extremely dry, sad and colorless summer. We had a huge temperature dip and it really froze and snowed and felt like winter again. I am not sure what really constitutes a hard freeze, but I'm willing to bet that anything colder than 33 degrees is a hard freeze to a newly bloomed daffodil. So, the shorts and sandals that we were all enjoying two weeks ago are all put away and I pulled out my heavy winter jacket for a trip to Target last night.
There has been almost no knitting at all to speak of since I left for Durango. I have nothing, NOTHING to show.
Well, that isn't totally true. I have some failed sock attempts and this:



It is not knitting, and I didn't make it, but it is wool and I love it. LOVE. IT. My brother brought it back from France for me. I adore it, and it makes this whole return of winter thing a little less painful. I need to block it a little bit, it was flattened on its way back to the united states. Nothing a little steam can't handle. And I have to get some lovely orangy wool to make some mittens to match it. It looks so spanking cute with my blue wool coat, it almost makes me want to move somewhere colder so I can wear it all the time.
And here are the "socks" that I have been working on. This is actually a photographic depiction of denial. About six inches of denial. The angel's rest pattern is so gorgeous on this Italian Sock yarn, but if you look carefully, you can see that it won't fit me, or you or anyone else who doesn't have toothpicks for legs. First I said that it would stretch, then I said I'll give them to someone who can wear them (!?) and then I decided I would make them into wrist warmers. Anything to avoid frogging them. And all the while, I kept knitting, knowing full well that it was a fools mission. I mean, the yarn is absolutely beautiful, no pooling, perfectly suited to this pattern, who can blame me? But they won't work, that is the truth. Now I can move on, and maybe even start over. Has anyone ever researched the stages of knitting denial? I would love to see it. The other half inch is another example of denial, in the other direction. Too big. I really need to get some two's and stop trying to knit that Fixation on the trees. That is the third beginning of a sock that will be frogged.
Has anyone seen The Namesake? I saw that it was being made into a movie and was mildly interested. I had read the book, so I know the story, though for the life of me I can;'t imagine why someone thought it was movie material. Who is in charge of this stuff? And the other problem is that the main character (Gogle) is played by a bad guy on 24. How can I ever sympathize with the guy who put all that nasty business into action?? And who am I kidding anyway? I never go to movies, at least not of the adult genre...and Harry Potter, of course!
Oh yeah, we also went to the zoo the other day, so I'll be showing some pictures of that soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daughter of mine...I love your blog, and was wondering when you would be posting again. I love your writing...and am always aware of what a blessing you are to me.